Sunday, January 14, 2007

THE NINETIES +10

So I went to a party last night which had a nineties theme. Post-modern or what? When asked why I hadn't come in fancy dress, I replied with the not unreasonable explanation that as I pretty much dressed the same now as I did during the nineties anyway I didn't see much point. I really can be quite a curmodgeon when I put my mind to it. I was later informed that there were people at the party who were actually born in the nineties, which made me feel postively ancient and not a little grubby (the majority of people were well into their twenties, mercifully).

Anyway, my flatmate Charlie played a 1995 'Greatest Hits' set, and it reminded me what a great era for singles the mid-nineties were: not just the obvious stuff like Common People and Girls and Boys, but the less celebrated songs too such as Ladykiller by Lush, New Generation by Suede, Trouble by Shampoo, I'm Not So Manic Now by Dubstar, etc. I've spoken about my desire to write a Britpop musical on here before, but I feel the climate could be right, now This Life +10 has made nostalgia for that era officially acceptable. A nationwide hunt for someone to play Crispian from Kula Shaker surely awaits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, its easy to have a lot of Nostalgia for that time. There was a lot of great singles. It was the last time indie rock was indie rock before it became a simulation of indie rock. It was the last night that music culture has a fairly intergrated narrative - which most def ain't the case now.

Somewhere between (as you have pointed out previously), England being knocked out of Euro '96 and the harsh cold reality of 1997 at all sorta petered out.........97-2000 was a really bad time for music.

Yr not wrong though - some of the most interesting things about britpop have been pretty much airbrushed out of dominant historical narrative..........