Monday, October 10, 2005

OPENING SET-PIECE

My previous band Grand Delinquents played our final gig on Friday night... I don't want to bore you with the details of how and why we split, and I suspect I'm probably not the best person to offer an impartial account of developments, but it did feel sort of like an end of an era. Comparisons to the decline and fall of the Roman Empire will doubtless sound slightly far-fetched, but in at least two areas there are noticeable similarities:

a) A lack of strong moral leadership and purpose
b) Final days marked by a descent into anarchy, corruption and chaos

So, I guess I'm Nero fiddling whilst indie burns (OK history pedants, it says
here that Nero actually presided over the Roman Empire a good four centuries before its actual fall, but for the sake of a rather labored analogy can we let this one go?) but what could be more cathartic than a blog explicitly drawing out the battle lines for a future assault on the musical Zeitgeist? It was this or the Daily Telegraph's Ultimate Sudoku Challenge, and I've never added up to much with numbers...

Let me tell you a bit about Wrong Angle... The idea for an insurrectionist synth-pop collaborative with no settled line-up, and operating beyond the conventional boundaries of popular taste was first mooted back in the carefree spring of 2000 (and few springs managed carefree quite as effortlessly as that of 2000) Like most great ideas, and some pretty turgid ones too, it was mocked relentlessly, with all manner of charges, from 'pretentious guff' to 'unworkable pipedream of a deluded demagogue', leveled against it during its long and strained gestation... With the benefit of hindsight these criticisms
now sound laughably accurate, and I hope, time allowing, to do justice to them all...

Wrong Angle believe that good taste is anathema to the soul, scholarship is the enemy of romance and epic folly is preferable to reasoned deliberation... let battle be joined...

2 comments:

Salone Boy said...

Looks Good, am keen to see whether you do a better job of updating it than I am currently managing. Not sure I like the moniker 'Mark's Sierra Leone blog' however....

Darren said...

Hmm. If you can think of something slightly less prosaic which doesn't run over to the next line let me know...